Thursday, May 03, 2007

I can't let today go by without mentioning the fact that it's World Press Freedom Day.

Those of us who are campaigning for Alan Johnston's release having been using the day as a means of keeping Alan's plight in the public eye.

There have been events worldwide -- most notably at the UN -- and Alan's situation has been even more uppermost in our minds today.

For my part, I dashed over to Fleet Street at lunchtime for a special service for Alan and all journalists who are under threat at St Bride's Church -- the spiritual home of journalists.

St Bride's has an altar set aside for journalists and every time I go there I'm struck by its poignancy. The altar seems ever more crammed with memorial nameplates for friends and colleagues I've worked with and who have been killed in the course of their work -- Kaveh Golestan, Kate Peyton, Simon Cumbers....

Sadly, the list keeps growing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home