Sunday, September 24, 2006

After today, I'll think twice before making the old crack about women and map reading skills.

In attempt to spice up my usual Sunday morning run I signed up for a 12k orienteering trail challenge around Ham and Richmond.

I had to double back after missing the first control point -- and my race went downhill from there on.

Stony or boggy, uneven terrain is incredibly punishing on my artificial leg. Add an overnight downpour into the mix and it's even worse.

Perhaps I should have known better -- the stretch of the Thames around which the race was organised is one I usually avoid because the terrain's so difficult and exhausting. It felt like taking part in the worst school cross country run of all time.

After running almost 10k while skilfully managing to miss control points 2, 3, 4 and 5 I threw in the towel.

In future, I think I'll stick to road racing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

;) sooner or later you 'll have the real races, following new MR Hughes all around the house keeping an eye on him; do you really think he will stay so long in his nursery?Relax as long as you can :)

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running round of thames is something what i did, its was quite tiring, now road racing is all together different but equally challengable.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home