Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Once in a blue moon, something comes along that makes you think "Aha! -- So that's what the future's going to be like."

Inspired by the BBC's podcast trial (which, while interesting, is still far too limited in scope,) I decided to look slightly further afield for some "amateur" podcasts to sample.

Where else to start but with the Podfather himself, Adam Curry.

I know I'm way behind the curve on this, but as a radio producer myself Curry's podcast came as something of a revelation. It's a genuinely "broadcast quality" programme produced by a talented broadcaster with something to say.

I was chatting recently with a producer from The World At One, who'd never heard of podcasting.

I tried to explain.

"What," he asked incredulously, "you mean that before long people won't be tuning in at set times to listen to the news?"

"No," I replied. "They'll create their own radio station by downloading their favourite podcasts to their MP3 player before they leave for work. They'll listen to them on the train or in the gym at a time that suits them."

It was as if I'd just told Aristotle that the Earth wasn't the centre of the universe.

Once Adam Curry's Castblaster and the and the new version of iTunes come on stream, podcasting will explode.

A lot of what's produced will be inconsequential rubbish.

But the best and most creative elements will shake up the radio industry for years to come.

Now, if I can just find someone who'll pay my salary so I can give up the day job and start that one-man podcasting content cottage industry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart - you might quite like http://www.graperadio.com/ I seem to remember you doing a wine appreciation course. Their podcast can be fun and there's little waffle.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home