Sunday, June 26, 2005

The New York Times reports on the latest prosthetic technology.

Professor Sherry Turkle from MIT's Initiative on Technology and Self reckons it's becoming cool to be an amputee:

"There is a kind of cyborg consciousness, a fluidity at the boundaries of what is flesh and what is machine, that has happened behind our backs," she says.

"The notion that your leg is a machine part and it is exposed, that it is an enhancement, is becoming comfortable in the sense that it can be made a part of you."

Hmmm...I'll bear the fluidity at the boundaries of what is flesh and what is machine in mind the next time I'm left hobbling and limping because my stump is injured.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be ESP Stuart I was just going thru my last week's newspapers and came across that article in Thursday"s NYT and I was going to email you the link.

Glad you are back and the trip sounded great.

Chancy (Georgia USA )

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home