Monday, April 25, 2005



As many of you will now know, today I was paid a little visit by a hacker.

I've removed some of the more personal information from the previous posting to protect the innocent but I've left the rest of the posting intact so that you can let "Daster" know what you think of his actions.

Without wanting to sound over-dramatic, I think it's fair to say that over the past two years I've been through a lot. Few things, however, have been as upsetting as having my personal space invaded in this way. Thank you to everyone who's got in touch to offer their good wishes.

I feel angry, violated, and very, very sad.

The Metropolitan Police Computer Crime Unit are on the case, but in the meantime I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether I want to continue with this blog.

I set up the blog to highlight the issues I'm interested in, to encourage debate and dialogue. But if it's going to be abused by thugs then frankly I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Daster has made his point.

There are far easier ways to get a message across -- a polite e-mail usually does the trick -- but if it means he'll move on to terrorise someone else I'm prepared in this instance to highlight his concerns.

Call it blackmail, but in the circumstances I feel I have little option.

So, in what could be my last posting, I'm drawing attention to the plight of three Romanian journalists - Sorin Miscoci, Marie Jeanne Ion, Ovidiu Ohanesian and translator Mohammed Monaf, who have been kidnapped in Iraq.

Their captors are threatening to kill them if Romania does not withdraw its 800 soldiers from Iraq by Tuesday.

The Romanian president Traian Basescu has said officials are working to win the journalists' release but neither he or the prime minister has commented on their captors' demands.

Read reports on their plight here, here and here.

But if Daster thinks his hacking -- or the public protests taking place in Romania calling on the country's government to pull its troops out of Iraq -- will succeed in bring about the freedom of the hostages, he's likely to be very disappointed.

No government will allow itself to be seen giving in to the demands of terrorists -- even if that means sacrificing the lives of innocent civilians. Anyone who's read their Machiavelli knows that.

Delicate negotiation -- and if necessary the quiet payment of a large ransom (remember Simona Torretta and Simona Pari?) -- are far more likely to bring about the release of the Romanians.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart, don't give up and don't let these moronic fools upset you. It is your blog, your space, and you must write what you want. It's alarming that it can happen - but to end your blog would be to give in to them...and besides, you have plenty of faithful readers who rely on your interesting and thoughtful posts! This article today warns bloggers that we must fight for our online freedom: use that as inspiration perhaps. Cheers, Will.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've responded to this unpleasant behaviour with absolutely remarkable dignity and far better manners than most of us would have done. I'm glad you have (mostly?) sorted things out here, and I really hope you keep blogging - I started reading BNI shortly before you were injured and it's broadened my horizons beyond measure.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turn Daster in to the proper authorities and get on with things. One should not let an anonymous weasel intimidate and prevent you from doing something for the greater good.

This kind of thing has become way too normal on the 'Net, (sadly) but those who deface websites are at best, the same children who place graffiti on buildings and at worst, cowards and losers.

Hmm.. I'm being anonymous to... just the nature of the 'Net, I suppose.

9:17 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

I hope you do not quit blogging. Yours is a most interesting weblog, one I always look forward to reading.

That hack certainly was a violation though, I can understand never wanting to post again.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart,

I was pretty shocked this morning when I read the original Daster post--glad that no harm has come to you through this, and hope that none will.

I deplore the hijacking of your blog, and hope that you will continue with it, I have enjoyed reading it for the last several months.

Good luck,

Kathy

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart

please don't stop writing. There are lots of us who trust your authentic voice. The web needs you.

Regards . Rob

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart,

Where is the courage you displayed when you lost your foot?

I'm saddened that your response has been to give in to the terrorists' demands and provide them with the publicity they seek, but I'm not surprised in the least.

You say you set up this blog "to encourage debate and dialogue" yet you have deleted several of my comments previously for no other reason that I could see than that I challenged your views on certain issues, politely and without abusing you or anybody else.

I understand you feeling vioated, it is like having your home burgled, but what would you do if you came home to find your house ransacked and human excrement smeared on the walls? It happens every day to somebody. I hardly believe you'd commit suicide or go and live in a cave to avoid it happening again, but that's exatly what you're thinking of doing with your blog.

By surrendering to the hacker/terrorist you have come down several notches in my estimation, as if you care...

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't stop.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Guy Jean said...

Hear, hear, Anonymous. I echo his/her sentiments. And I have no objection to your highlighting the plight of the journalists, even if under duress. Daster may not be linked to the terrorists, but may simply be sincerely concerned. There are countless people who are in danger and whose plight is ignored. See here for just one example of this kind of media bias. Your suggestion that "There are far easier ways to get a message across -- a polite e-mail usually does the trick" may apply to you, but it sounds a little naive, frankly. There were a lot more than "polite emails" going on about Rwanda's genocide, or East Timor, or the massacre in Fallujah, yet most media or governments did nothing. Daster's threatening tone may simply be that of a desperate person. He/She, and you, have my sympathy (with your condition, not necessarily with the objectives). I hope you keep blogging (and change your credit cards!).

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it would be very sad if you gave up, but I also think it's a bit strange that you delete comments from people. Sure, it's your site and you can do what you like with it, but you have to question what it says about you and the site if you feel the need to censor the content. What's the point in inviting comments at that point?

(of course I don't include the personal information that Daster revealed in his posting)

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home