Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I met journalist Borzou Daragahi in Northern Iraq two years ago.

He was working for AP and was one the last people I saw, moments before I stepped on the landmine.

He was heading away from the hidden minefield as we were, unwittingly, driving towards it. As our vehicles passed on the road we stopped and chatted briefly.

Borzou said he had a bad feeling about the area. As it turned out, his hunch was right.

Against his better judgement, Borzou is still filing from Iraq:

"I thought the sacrifices of covering Iraq would eventually get the better of me, and I'd want out. But it turns out that like all countries fighting wars, the sacrifices become investments, and the harder it becomes to pull out, even when it's the wise thing to do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home