Saturday, March 05, 2005



Among the memorabilia of wars gone by on display in glass cases at the Frontline Club is a very special exhibit.

It's a prosthetic arm belonging to the late, legendary cameraman, Mo Amin.

Mo lost his left arm while filming an ammunition depot in Addis Ababa in 1991.

I was lucky enough to meet Mo's son Salim this evening. We talked about the problems his father had encountered when he first lost his arm, with doctors in the UK telling him the best they could offer was a metal hook.

Eventually, staff at a centre in Ohio designed a revolutionary limb which enabled Mo to hold a camera and return to work.

Sadly, Mo died in 1996 while negotiating with hijackers who'd taken over an Ethiopian airliner.

I hope I don't suffer the same fate as Mo Amin. But when my time comes it'd be a honour to have my artificial leg displayed in a glass case at the Frontline Club alongside his.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home