Monday, January 03, 2005

"I saw in the faces of the gunmen absolute hatred."

On Christmas Eve Frank Gardner spoke at length to the Today programme.

It was his first broadcast interview since the shooting in Saudi Arabia six months ago which killed Simon Cumbers and left him fighting for his life.

Because I've been away from the office I haven't been able to pull it off the archive and blog it until now but, belatedly, here it is.

Frank talks about his recollections of the shooting and admits he became an unwitting target by spending too long in the area of Riyadh where he and Simon were attacked. He talks about his rehabilitation and his hopes for the future.

The interview is 9'33" long and is a 1.6Mb MP3 file.

Frank Gardner Today Interview

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart,
Hope its okay to ask but what programme do you use to copy sounds like this one and others? I have a programme called Snag IT but it isn't very good. I was wondering what programme you use? Thanks! And by the way great blog! I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Stuart said...

I use the freeware program Audacity -- http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ -- to edit audio material for the blog.

I lifted the Frank Gardner interview off the BBC archive as a 128Kbps MP3 file, topped and tailed it with Audacity and then compressed it at a lower bit rate for publication on the blog.

Audacity's great for basic audio editing - and best of all it's free.

When editing more complex pieces for the BBC I use Cool Edit Pro, which has now been rebranded as Adobe Audition.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks Stuart!
I must go and see what the programme is like. I've been searching around the net for ages for a good sound programme. Thanks for the link! it's much appreciated.

And just to say about the post, I really hope Frank Gardner starts feeling better soon and all the best for the future.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home