Saturday, September 25, 2004

PSSST....WANNA BUY AN OLYMPIC PIN?

The succession of Paralympic volunteers who knock of the doors of the BBC office asking for pins aren't just innocent collectors -- there's good money to be made here.

A BBC Olympic pin is worth $20 on eBay (I'll be grabbing a handful before I leave and drip-feeding them onto the open market, OPEC-style, so they don't lose their value).

In fact, virtually any Olympic memorabilia is worth something.

A volunteer's T-shirt -- $157

A cell phone (as used by International Olympic Committee members) -- $505

An Olympic Torch (unused) -- $1450

What am I bid for a genuine Athens 2004 keyring from my room at the Media Village?

1 Comments:

Blogger swisslet said...

I can guarantee you that the bag I picked up when I was in Athens in August would pick me up about 12p on Ebay... it's an official "Athens 2004" shoulder bag with a handy laptop-type compartment.

"That will be handy", I thought, "and when I get home I'll have functional laptop bag that will remind me of the lovely time I had at the Olympics".

Fat chance. The stitching gave out in about 3 days, and the strap broke on the way to the airport. Good job I never put a laptop in it.

30-odd euros well spent.

Pins were big when I was there too. I just don't get it.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home