Monday, September 06, 2004



America's favourite auto-amputee, Aron Ralston, has a book coming out. It's called "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" (geddit?)

Thanks to Lynn for pointing out that Ralton is this month's cover star in Outside magazine.

Even though I know from experience what it's like to stare down curiously at a bloody and useless limb, Ralston's account of how he disposed of his trapped right forearm is wince-inducing:

"My nerves seem to be concentrated in the outer layers of my arm, then.

"I confirm this by drawing the knife out, slicing up at my skin from underneath. Oh, yeah, there they are. The flesh stretches with the blade, broadcasting signals through my arm as I open an inch-wide hole.

"Letting the pain dissipate, I note that there is remarkably little blood; the capillaries must have closed down for the time being. Fascinated, I poke at the gash with the tool.

"Ouch."

Ouch indeed.

Among Outside's "10 Scariest Survival Stories" is the tale -- recounted here before -- of Bill Jeracki, a fisherman from Colorado who was forced to amputate his own leg after a boulder landed on it.

Double ouch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a look at the Outside Online article and couldn't help but notice the banner at the top, advertising subscriptions with the free gift of a knife...


The Rev
(p.s. is anyone else having major grief trying to log in when posting comments?! Argh!)

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home