Monday, May 24, 2004



I picked up a copy of The Ecologist that was lying around the office, unloved and unread, and have been dipping my toes into its organic, bio-friendly contents this evening.

It makes a change from Time and The Economist but I've found it by turns inspiring and hugely frustrating.

Inspiring in the sense that it has pricked my conscience and reminded me that small changes to my lifestyle (switching off the TV at the set to save elecricity, looking out for fair trade products) can make a real difference.

Frustrating in the sense that I'm still left with so many things (mobile phones, investments in suspect companies, Cuban cigars, a loathing for public transport) that fall foul of the eco-warriors.

The most startling discovery I made in the magazine was the work of Richard Box.

In February, Box -- the Artist in Residence at Bristol University's Physics Department -- created an installation in which he powered 1301 fluorescent light tubes just from the electromagnetic field emitted from overhead power lines.

If the power lines can do that to fluorescent tubes then just what are they doing to peoples' brains?

1 Comments:

Blogger Dio Bach said...

I've seen reasearch in the past that points to the maganetic fields given out by electric objects in the home as potential causing harm to the brain. It was scary enough to make me move my radio alarm clock to the other end of the room rather than keep it by my head on the side of the bed...

This also has the added benefit of making you get out of bed when it goes off. :)

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home