Wednesday, March 10, 2004



Ah, it's the old disability question again.

In my work inbox this morning I received an e-mail inviting me to complete a "Disability Survey" (I think it was sent to everyone -- I wasn't being singled out because I'm a gimp.)

Here it is in full:

The DDA defines disability as ‘a disability or impairment that has an adverse effect on your ability to carry out day-to-day activities, is significant and is long term’. According to this definition do you consider you have a disability?

No Yes

If NO, please return this questionnaire now.

If YES, please indicate with an ‘x’ the appropriate disability category (if the significant effects of your disability fall into more than one category please ‘x’ all the relevant boxes) and return the form.

If you are unsure whether you are covered by the above definition(s) please contact the Disability Employment Advisor. If you have any access requirements (e.g. adapted equipment, special software, ad-hoc facilitation, etc) or need help dealing with Access to Work etc., you can contact the Access Unit.

Thank you for completing this questionnaire. If you have any queries, please email 'disability survey'.


So how do I respond?

I have a foot missing. It's "significant and long term" (unless I wake up one morning to find it's grown back in the night). But does it have "an adverse effect on my ability to carry out day-to-day activities?" Not really. I just get on with it.

So back to the core question. "Do you consider you have a disability?"

I can only answer no.

I could, of course, ring the Disability Employment Advisor but frankly the idea of phoning someone to ask them whether I have a disability seems absurd.

Or maybe I'm just afraid he'll say that I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home