Monday, July 28, 2003

An emotional afternoon.

Visited Hengameh Golestan, the widow of Kaveh and their only son, Mehrak. She's pictured left here, alongside Kaveh's mother, at his funeral in Iran.

I'd been longing to meet Hengameh ever since the accident, mindful that I was one of the last people to see her husband alive. The love they had for each other during 31 years of marriage shone through and made his death seem all the more senseless.

You'll forgive me, I hope, if I keep the details of our meeting private. It brought home to me that my loss, however bad, is as nothing compared to the loss she and her family are enduring.

Mehrak told me that a website in memory of his father has just been launched. It's an excellent introduction to his outstanding work. An number of annual prizes for photojournalism will also be awarded in his honour. Details here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home